Sunday, July 29, 2012

Book # 42 - Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
Lisa See
269 pages
Finished 7/24/2012

Beautiful story about the friendship of two girls sworn to each other as soul-sisters.  They expressed their thoughts and love though the secret women's writing of nu shu.

Trick: With Lisa See's books, read the notes first.  Usually the last chapter, Lisa would describe the writing of the book.  Given the historical perspective, I enjoyed the book much better than her previous one, Peony in Love.

I was surprised with some bad reviews about this book, mostly criticizing it for the topic of footbinding and the absence of women's rights.  It was the same everywhere in the world at that time, although the manifestation was different.  For example, In America, women were denied the right to vote.  In China, women's feet were bound.  It's like refusing to read a book about slavery or the Holocaust because it is morally wrong.


2 comments:

  1. So, what's your take on e-book readers? I got a keyboard kindle for over a year now and it is lurve :). Mas madalas ko pa katabi kaysa asawa ko hehe. I love it for its convenience (you can have over 3,500 ebooks in it) plus the screen looks like a page in a book. Amazon Customer Service is amazingly efficient, too. (I got two friends who had their Kindles replaceddelivered here in the Philippines within 3 days). It doesn't hurt that I get the e-books free too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried them yet. I have a lot of friends who have Kindles and they love it. I'm still the old-fashioned, need a page to turn kind. I do love audio books, and find that when I listen to them, it makes my drive to and from work less stressful, especially when there is traffic.

    ReplyDelete