Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Book # 4 - Girl in Translation

Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok
Audiorecording narrated by Grace Wey
1/15/2012


This is an amazing love story between a mother and a daughter through their struggles as recent immigrants from Hong Kong. They expected the glamor of Broadway, but instead were thrust into the sweatshops and slums of Brooklyn.

Jean Kwok writes so eloquently that I count her as one of my favorite writers. I experienced the same love for a writer with Khaled Hosseini, who wrote The Kite Runner. He wrote so beautifully that I found myself stopping to re-read entire passages.

Being an immigrant myself, I closely related to this book. Unlike Kimberly and her mother, I spoke English fluently when I immigrated to the United States. However, there are certain immigrant experiences that are unique, the first of which is the culture shock of America's wastefulness and lack of respect to elders. I understood the value of filial piety which demands total love and respect for elders and family.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5calS151BdQ

No comments:

Post a Comment